BlogStay up-to-date on all the Fringe news!
- The Fringe is, hands-down, the easiest way to produce original theatre, dance, and more in SLC. With low venue costs, a running time of one hour, and limited tech, Fringe shows are low-risk. All you need is an idea and a passionate team to make your art happen.
- You’ll be joining a community of cutting-edge performing artists from around Utah and beyond. Fringe gives you a chance to meet like-minded artists and the opportunity for collaboration beyond the festival.
- Artists get 100% of ticket sales, making it easy to recoup costs and make money. Most artists need an average of 10 audience members per show to turn a profit.
- The Fringe is a great way to test or workshop new shows. Past Fringe shows have gone on to perform at other Fringes and in stand-alone productions around Utah.
- Performing in the Fringe is a great way to see shows! If there are seats available when a show begins, Fringe artists get in for free! How often do you get to see 10+ shows during the run of your own?
The 2017 application opens on March 1st right HERE. Read through the guidelines now to get ready to apply!
Our last blog post got you up to speed with the performance aspect of our festival, but the Great Salt Lake Fringe Festival showcases a variety of different art styles. In addition to shows at Westminster College and the Fringe Factory, the festival is an opportunity to check out our Kids Fringe at the Sprague Library, our Concert Series at Sugarmont Plaza, and the Visual Fringe, on display in the lobbies of our two main performance spaces.
The Visual Fringe consists of artwork by local artists, all for sale, coming together to create beautiful galleries of original work. Like our performers, our artists receive 100% of sales on their artwork! The Fringe takes supporting the arts to the max.
“It’s so great to see these new artists joining the Visual Fringe this year, as well as returning artists from last year’s festival,” said Visual Fringe Coordinator, Mandi Ticomb. “All of their incredible work, paired with our exciting installation piece, will make the Visual Fringe a must see event of the Fringe!”
Our installation piece for the Visual Fringe is still getting some finishing touches, so we can’t show it to you yet. However, having had the opportunity to see it, I can tell you that this piece of art is sure to make you SOAR! Stay up to date on our blog to be some of the first to see it once it’s finished.
Still want to partake in the Visual Fringe? You have until July 24 to apply here:
We want to emphasize that the Visual Fringe is more than simply art on walls – we encourage interactive media and unexpected creations. If you have an idea that may be considered “unusual” or an “installation piece,” please contact us.
The GSLF is only 10 days away and your Fringe team is working hard to bring you a fantastic festival!
To stay updated on all of our adventures and to get more information, find us right here on our website, and follow us on our social media:
Until next time,
The annual Great Salt Lake Fringe Festival is hard at work preparing for our second year, and we couldn’t be more excited!
Creating a fringe festival, as you can imagine, is no easy task, as it requires artists, shows, sponsors, venues and most importantly, an audience. The Fringe team wants to bring you behind the scenes of our 2016 festival, and show you all of our fun projects.
Before we jump into some fun we are already having, here are some things you need to know about this year’s festival.
- This year’s festival is TWICE as long as last year’s, running two weekends instead of one.
50 companies will be putting on nearly 250 performances in the course of eight days.
- We are welcoming companies from all over the United States.
- The festival runs from July 29-31 & August 3-7 in the heart of Sugar House.
We are so stoked about it!
Recently, the GSLF team got together to get blue and take some “glamour” shots. We can’t release the photos yet, but we can give you a sneak peek…
The Great Salt Lake Fringe Festival team cannot wait to celebrate with you this summer! To stay updated on all of our adventures and to get more information, find us right here on our website, and follow us on our social media:
Until next time,